LoudPen
The key to becoming a writer is writing. Now, I know that seems simple and redundant but, you would be surprised how many writers hate writing. Most writers have so much they want to say and share but, have a hard time actually writing it down. Meaning, they have all these great ideas but are unable to transfer ideas to paper because of fear of rejection, procrastination, lack of time, or general laziness.

So in order to become a writer, you have to write about any and everything whenever possible. It doesn't matter if it makes sense or if it's all gibberish. Just write. If you write about different topics and in an array of different styles then you will find what kind of writing you like to do and you will discover your stylistic voice.

The way I discovered my voice was through my manuscript, The Loudest Pen Ever. I started writing my manuscript in September of 07 and originally it was a way to get my thoughts out and figure out what my writer's voice is. Through this I discovered that my writing voice and my speaking voice was one in the same. Meaning that both my voice as a person and as a writer is loud and we both like to tell stories. Plus, I love to crack jokes so I figured out how to also incorporate this into my writing.

My manuscript allowed me to have complete freedom of expression. Why? Because, I stopped limiting myself. As writers, we read and study the great works of those who have come before us and we participate in writer's workshops that usually feature fellow writers and this does NOTHING but intimidate us and make us doubt our writing skills. Basically, after reading and hearing the works of others we feel inadequate and unwilling to try and complete our own writing. But, you have to start writing something so, I suggest a memoir of your own life, because you will learn more about yourself and your writing will improve. And do NOT set-up a schedule or plan what you will write about. The memoir must be a stream of consciousness that is completely uncensored and unmonitored. The only way to discover your raw self is to be your raw self through writing your natural thoughts. Don't think oh this is mean I shouldn't say that or I shouldn't curse or this might offend someone because those are all limitations and limitations will hinder your writing because then you are writing to please others. Please yourself first and foremost.

So after this long post, take everything I've said into consideration and remember, when the page comes to life...so do you.
Labels: , edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment