LoudPen
As you guys can see, the posting on the blog has been very sporadic. To be honest this will probably continue. I'm going to try and post on the LPE on the regular but, I'll be posting on this blog no more than 3 times a week. This will continue until the blog gets redesigned and I merge the two. Okay, now that we have that out of the way, today's lesson is, How to Develop a Critical Eye.

Having a critical eye or the ability to critique is very important when writing, especially blogging. As Bloggers, we usually discuss pop culture, society, and the trials and tribulations of life. But, in order to engage an audience, you have to be able to state what you feel in a clear, concise manner, and also make sure that you don't offend anyone. Basically, you have to be able to state your opinion while simultaneously getting others to see your point even if they don't agree.

Personally, I am a overly opinionated person, who loves to volunteer my thoughts at any chance. Therefore, I usually have no trouble stating how I feel about a particular issue or topic. But, it's the way you analyze and critique that makes people listen. First, you have to state the item that you are critiquing and give reason as to why. Then, you observe the item from a neutral standpoint and make sure you weigh the good and the bad. If you feel that one outweighs the other, then state why and make sure you use valid reasons. Next, see how the item you are critiquing works within the broader sense.

For example, I have criticized the mainstream media's coverage of Michael Jackson's life and death, because, I feel that they focus more on the "scandal and drama" of Michael's life and not the good. Essentially, the media is doing what they have always done and that is giving people news, drama, gossip, and scandal. However, recently, the entire media industry has become based on its ability to make you feel angry about hungry children in third world countries, conflicted about the Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan/N. Korea wars, and judgemental of Michael Jackson. Silly me, I thought the news was supposed to OBJECTIVE. Meaning, if the news is truly be reported to you in a neutral manner, then, you would not have any feelings while watching the news. It would simply be like you were watching paint dry...it wouldn't affect you.

Veering back to my point, you can see that I have taken a topic (the media) discussed it for what it is and then, outlined why I feel the way I do. People don't have to agree with me, but, I hope that they would agree that I have at least stated my point in a way that's easy to comprehend. I hope that this post and subsequent example have helped you to become a better critical thinker and writer/blogger.

Remember when the page comes to life...so do you.
0 Responses

Post a Comment